Can I place my child with other family members

When children have been abused or neglected, DFPS may remove them from their homes to ensure their immediate safety. The court system is required to consider a temporary placement with a relative and asks the parents to provide DFPS with contact information for relatives who may be able to at least temporarily care for the child.

When placing children, the court considers their needs the most important consideration. All the parties involved in the decision making process may identify a kinship placement as the most appropriate as a result of a Family Group Decision Making (FGDM) conference. The placement may be court ordered, usually after DFPS completes a home assessment. The agency will try to take into account the parents’ desires about the care provided to their child whenever possible. If placement with a relative is not available or appropriate, the child may be placed in foster care.

This entry was posted in CPS, State Law and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

104 Responses to Can I place my child with other family members

  1. Chuck says:

    The Judge says CPS can and should place the child with other family members, and CPS says they will but in the end, they drag the time out and eventually charge the family members with a new term they made up and remove them from the scene. CPS calls CASA in to gain the family’s trust and lie to them. Like the Ad Litum, CASA is supposedly “on the child’s side.”

  2. Dan says:

    So what happens when CPS goes for the throat and bypasses the family for child placement and the judge goes righ along with it? Who is or can be held accountable?

  3. jketterman says:

    CPS and the Judge can, and should be held accountable. If that happens, the parents should either mandamus the judge or simply appeal to a higher court. The law is what it is and CPS and the judge can’t just throw it aside.

  4. jketterman says:

    I agree. CASA can’t be trusted anymore than CPS. They are merely an extension.

  5. jketterman says:

    I’m not on twitter. Sorry.

  6. Brenda Lambert says:

    20 yrs ago my son’s father molested my daughter
    the sons father did not live with us how ever he molested my daughter while i was in the shower
    so cps is holding a 20 yr cps case on me and ive been told they cant do that
    im trying to get my grand daughter out of cps and they already called casa involved
    so i need to know what to do about this
    and the my sons father was no billed so according to texas no crime was commited he got of and was no billed so why cant my name be removed from cps and my grand daughter be givin to me ???
    i need some advice
    Brenda Lambert

  7. Brenda Lambert says:

    and they did not have a court order to take the kids from me they how ever dddid use the cops to scare me to give my kids over

  8. jketterman says:

    Regardless of what CPS tells you, as a grandmother you have a right to petition the court for your grandbaby. Ultimately, it’s not up to CPS. You need to hire an attorney to fight for your grandparent rights as well as for custody. Contact my office and we can talk. 71352297777. I can help.

  9. vanessa says:

    Hello – My husband 13 yr old daughter got placed under CPS care . He was never really around her life .He finally meet her when she was 5 yrs old . Then she’ll come every 3 yrs or so .They’re alway’s moving and changing their # so he didn’t really had a way to get a hold of her . He get’s a letter from Child support saying to start making his payments to CPS . We believe that she has been under CPS care since December thats what child support told him that they stop taking money out since December . And he just got a letter last month in February saying to start making payments to them cause they have her . He never got Nothing from CPS saying that they have her … He still has right’s for her we believe he still does even dough he was never around . Now he wants to take her out of there and bring her home .. what are his changes for us to get her and bring her home even dough he was never really around for her . And will CPS come to our house and see how we live and how many people we have living with us , and how big is our home … That’s what I have heard that before they let a child to go live with you after she was placed under CPS is very hard to get here even dough she wasn’t taken away from us..


  10. jketterman says:

    Your husband absulutely has rights to his daughter. He needs to contact his local CPS office to get information. They can find where the CPS case is by the child’s name and date of birth.


    please contact me asap as i have petioned the court to a order for 8 :30 am


    My grand daughter was apprehened on mar 18-2011 and no one has contacted me or my commonlaw husband

  13. jketterman says:

    You have to continue to make calls to CPS. Document every call you make and who you talked to. It will be important later.

  14. jketterman says:

    I can be reached at 7136522003

  15. Jennifer and Alex says:

    I’ll give y0u a quick summary before my question: Jennifer’s sister’s nephews (4 boys) were all placed in foster care by CPS. All 4 were placed with Jennifer’s siter and her husband (the kids’ biological uncle) who already have 3 kids of their own, and 2 more that are there every other weekend. The middle two boys have since been removed from their home and the baby will also be removed. The permanency plan for all the kids is adoption as all parental rights have either been voluntarily relinquished or will be terminated. We were approved by CPS as a kinship placement and everything was set up to have the baby placed in our home. We were also approved for an adoptive home and would be moving over to pre-adoption services following the trial (when the child is free for adoption). Everything was going great: Jennifer’s sister can’t wait to get the baby out of their home, we passed everything, we were getting the baby every day during the day for the transition before placement, and the CPS worker scheduled a placement date. Then, all of a sudden completely out of the blue…hours before the baby was to be placed the CPS worker called and told us he wouldn’t be placed that day (it was a Friday afternoon, of course). On Monday we received a phone call and were advised that baby would no longer be placed in our home. We drilled the worker for answers but she gave us nothing! Just, I’m sorry the baby will not be placed in your home. We are two professionals (Jen works as a Business Analyst for a Fortune 500 company for almost 10 years, I have my M.Ed. in Counseling Psychology and will be licensed next month as a Licensed Professional Counselor. We are an approved adoptive home because we adopted our son (now 3) from Depelchin! We live in an upper-middle class neighborhood in Kingwood with some of the best schools in Texas. We have no criminal or CPS record and couldn’t be a better home for any child. Furthermore we WANT this baby, are bonded with him, and can’t wait to adopt him. I know something is up…I worked for DFPS for over 4 years, for CPS for one of those years, and know the system! Not only are we crushed, we are confused as this child has no other possible kinship placements to go to. We have contacted the Program Director directly as we got no where with the CPS worker or her supervisor. All she said was she did approve our home for placement and he would be there right now had there not been an ‘injunction’ filed. But, we still have no answers and no baby. What does this mean? What are our options now? Oh, and the trial was re-set and is on the docket for Wednesday (3 days from now). Should we go to the trial and appeal to the judge? When we asked the Program Director she said we couldn’t attend the trial as we are not ‘party’ to the case. Where do we go from here? We can’t just give up and walk away from this baby without trying everything we can. Any help or advice would be extremely appreciated. Alex

  16. Alice Brown says:

    Cps is draging there feet, the judge ordered a home study, it has Ben done. But its been four months and they give me excuses after another .

  17. jketterman says:

    Contact the child’s ad litem and see if he or she will push CPS to place the child. If you are a parent, have your attorney file a motion for a special status hearing so the issue can be addressed with the court.

  18. Alice Brown says:

    Cps aproved my homestudy, I also had to get a psychosocial assessment. My grandkids have been in fostercare every since June ,I’ve done every thing cps has asked of me,I mean every thing, I am these childrens grandmother, what’s going on.

  19. julee says:

    i have a case on me and my kids are placed with family friend well its been a year now and cps say they going to terminate me n my husband rights well if that happens will i ever be able to get my kids back? and wil my kids stay with the placement i have them with now?

  20. jketterman says:

    If your parental rights are terminated your relationship with your children, as their mother, will be forever terminated. You will no longer have a legal right to your children; you won’t be their mother anymore. Your children may stay in the placement that they are now or they could be moved. This decision will be the Departments if your rights are terminated.

  21. Samantha says:

    I just got married in September. I have 3 siblings that still live with my parents. They have recently been taken away (still in the same town and get to see our parents) until the Cps worker administers a drug test for both parents. If they fail again they will be taken away. How do I go about having them come stay with me and my husband if this happens?

  22. jketterman says:

    You can contact the caseworker and ask that your siblings be placed with you. If she refuses then you can Intervene into the suit — or file suit if one has not be filed — to have your siblings placed with you.

  23. Debra D says:

    My 7 month old great-niece was temporarily placed with my sister (the child’s other great aunt) when CPS was called on my neice (the mother) and her boyfriend (the father). That was 14 weeks ago and the baby’s parents still haven’t got their act together enough to get their daughter back. My sister (53) would like to transfer placement to another family member. What will we have to do to get this done?

  24. Shannon says:

    My 5 month old twins were taken at 5 weeks old due to bleeding around the brain. It has since been proven that the bleeds were due to a platelet disorder that affected both twins. We started on the service plan while also working on getting the babies diagnosed. The counselors signed off on both my husband & myself, we completed parenting classes & got psych evals. Now that we’ve completed the service plan, CPS doesn’t want to give the kids back because we never divulged the “method of injury” & “they do not feel confident that we have dealt with the true reasons the babies came into care to begin with”. No because we completley disagree as to why this whole horrible situation started! Our stance ia that they were almost giddy & over-zealous to diagnoae abuse, they did so without testing the babies dor any disorders, etc. They were o ly 5 weeks old & the pregnancy was comolicated to say the least. The babies were also taken from my Mom a month after this started because my son had a new bleed (due to his platelets not working & not clotting correctly), unfortunately this new bleed was diagnosed before we had a firm diagnosis of the bleeding/ platelet disorder. I have a 2 part question – is there any way to get the babies back with my Mom until this nightmare ends? We go to court on 12/21 & hope to have enough proof to stop it then. And secondly, my Dad has had a home study & been approved but CPS is now dragging their feet on getting the babies with him. Is there anything we can do? Can we set an emergency hearing to get the babies either with my Mom or Dad? We want them with family ASAP! They have been in foster care since they took them from my Mom 3 months ago. Please help…we have a lawyer but I would really like a 2nd opinion. Does my Mom or Dad need to get a lawyer? Thank you in advance.

  25. Shannon says:

    And when I say that we hope to have enough proof when we go back to court on 12/21, I mean that we had one Dr give the firm diagnosis but it was not a local Dr, a local Dr is saying that the platelet function was abnormal bit not abnormal enough. Of course that’s ridiculous but that is what CPS is choosing to listen to. We have several Drs going through medical records, labs, etc to lay out how this happened & to state it to the court as simply as possible. We have just been burned for the last 4 months so we are concerned it will not be enough to make this stop. It seems to take an act of God to get CPS out of your life, even after they come into your life without having a true reason. Ugh.

  26. jketterman says:

    The easiest way is to request this through CPS. if that doesn’t work, the family can file a private action to place the children with an appropriate family member.

  27. jketterman says:

    I’m so sorry that you’re in this position. It happens more than you think.
    Yes, there is a way to get the babies with your mom. You need to have a hearing to modify placement and show your proof to the judge.
    The babies should be with family and you and your husband should be having as much visitation as possible for bonding time.
    I would suggest that either your mom or dad get a lawyer. They can intervene into the case and become a party. This gives them the right to legally fight for custody and also gives you and your husband a safety net.
    Good Luck.

  28. Brenda Maisonneuve says:

    It’s hard to believe with so many people experiencing he same treatment that someone has not stopped this agency. My grandson was taken for Mongolian spots and none of the family stepping forward qualify. No one has a criminal history and in spite of that the 3 month old removed , now almost two, has been placed into two different foster homes at a cruti bonding period in this child’s life. The parents were only allowed to see the child once a week and will not be getting their child back. The father gave up and the mother had a low IQ score although she seems normal. CPS vendors perpetuate this and it’s a system that benefits monitarily from taking children without a preponderance of evidence. There must be a common gameplan because the stories are similar no matter what the state. When Bush signed the adoption act in 2008 this gave monitary incentives to states to adopt. My state has a 900 million deficit to make up. The civil liberties union should fight to change the laws that specifically qualify what a suitable family placement means , what can disqualify, how far back can something be used (like a thirty year traffic ticket in my case for not having switched my out of state license), and that state and federal laws to put kids with family be honored. I think a state ballot letting voters decide the laws around the power of this agency, should happen.

  29. anissa says:

    R there stipulations for who can take the children. Cps says the children can not go with the father because of a domestic charge four years ago. Other than that clean record…is this legal???

  30. Lizette says:

    Thank you, for this information.. Finally someone has the courage to informed parents the ins and out of the cps monopoly…..I will like to know, if you can recommend an attorney in the state of NY Long Island and in the state of Massachusetts western area to be exact….I also want to know how can I become an advocate in this matter…I want to voluntarily help other parents nation wide….

  31. jketterman says:

    No. A parent has the first right to having a child placed with him or her, especially if that parent was not the cause of the pick up.

  32. jketterman says:

    Thank you. I don’t have any recommendations for attorneys in those areas. You can, however, look through the local state bar for an attorney who specializes in these matters.
    The easiest way to become an advocate is to write your local politicians. The government controls CPS and all of their actions.

  33. Tina Patterson says:

    I was at work, my children’s father left them unattended, the officer tried to get in contact with me.. can’t be on phone while at work so phone was off.. by the time the found me on my way home cps had taken my kids, there was weed paraphernalia in room with kids, contacted the workers said my kids are going into foster care…i didn’t know my kids where left alone..i don’t know where to begin.. never been in trouble with cps before.. any information would be greatly appreciated..

  34. jketterman says:

    First, I do not advise you to fight CPS alone. It’s dangerous. Hire legal counsel. There are many, many lawyers who are ready and willing to fight CPS. Secondly, until you do so — and even after for that matter — document everything. Start a journal. write down EVERYTHING: phone calls, messages left, peoples names, etc. If CPS has filed a suit against you, you should have a Show Cause or Adversary Hearing soon. CPS has to prove that you were at fault also regarding the pickup. They will have to prove that you knowingly left your children in a dangerous situation. If you were actually in the dark as to your husband smoking pot and leaving the kids alone, then you were not part of the the reason for the pick up and the kids should be sent home with you. If you did know that your husband smokes….and they can somehow prove that then they can show that you failed to protect. CPS will absolutely try to tear your family apart. Please do not try to fix this alone. Good luck.

  35. caarla kegler says:

    last year I met this mother with 3 girls one child had so many behavior problems that the one I wanted to help. so the mom said yes, I would show this child so much love that today she is a new child but down through the child would share different things with me andi would keep all information in a book and all text message from her mom talking so bad to her. and what she going to do once she get home well I call Cpsand they shar so much with mom where the family knew it wasme who call well they told the child she could see me any more so the child tired to kill her self because the family known I was her life line they saw the different in this child well the mom put her into a mental hospital put have her put on drugs she don’t need because the mom knew the child had told me the horrible things she do to the kids. she tired to jump off the balcony with the CPS lady their. I ask the worker if the mother didnt have nothing to hide why would she tell the child she couldn’t have no more dealing with me after seen how so far this child have came from a cutter to many other behavior what kind of mother don’t want to see their child happy right now I call that worker everyday she wont call me back in still trying to find that child. she had told some many people about her mom she have a old case started in 2004 until now I will not rest until I get some help , can I get her even if Im no family member just a mother myself and met a child that didn’t need meds are the treatment she have receive through her short time here. she experience love and was growing into this lovely butterfly, help me to get her what can I do.

  36. Diane says:

    What happens when a granddaughter has been place with her grandparents with her little brother and dad getsout of jail and is getting visits and my grandaughter is not his and she don’t even know him where is the logic in that. The little boys is his those and the mother in not in pic.

  37. My kids got taken away from me but while my kids have been in foster care worse has happen my 7 yr old tryed commiting suicide my 3yr olds been put on deppression med an sleep aids my 3 yr old tol me the foster caare dad hit him he had a bruise on his face cps didn’t investigate or nothing instead said it was better for him to be moved but left my one yr old daughter there they r mentally worse since cps has came involved they took 4 of my kids but left one so how is it iam fit for one but not the others I don’t have the money to really fight but my kids r being abused an I need help my phone number s 432-880-2645

  38. Emily says:

    Hi my granddaughter was taken from the hospital by CPS in November when she was born. I was there the day it happen and spoke to the case worker she said I had to go thru several steps. My granddaughter was born in reading PA I live in Newjersey I have taken all of the steps I have been approved from CPS in New Jersey and I have been approved thru interstate my I have obtained my foster care license my home has pass the inspection I have done all the steps I have even gone to a psychiatrist to get a mental evaluation and they said I am mentally and physically fit to care for my granddaughter. My son and his girlfriend (the mother) has lost there rights and the judge did not approve to place my granddaughter in my home. Can you please help me and tell me what is my next step I am in need of a attorney that is willing to fight for my granddaughter to be placed with me PLEASE lead me in the right direction

  39. EVERINE DIRKSZ says:

    Ms. Ketterman, what are your fee for defense Counsel with CPS?

  40. jketterman says:

    If the case is in the investigation phase I charge a $3000 retainer. If a case has been filed I charge a $5000 retainer.

  41. sharry clare says:

    I just found out that my 3 grandkids are in foster care in texas can I do anything and if so what?

  42. jketterman says:

    Yes. Contact CPS in the county where they lived.

    They probably won’t give you much information but ask for a cause number and a court at least. Once you have this information, you can intervene in to the suit asking for custody of your grandchildren. Texas law states that if the children can not be safely placed with a parent that they must be placed with a relative (as long as the relative is appropriate). You have a right to fight for your grandchildren and suggest that you do so.

  43. Feen says:

    Just today my cousin had his daughter taken by CPS because his wife violated one of cps terms by testing positive for meth. I was informed by the social workers supervisor that the 21 month old baby girl has been seperated from her half brother and placed in a foster home. She also said to have the baby released to us we would have to do Live Scan finger printing, provide a carseat, proper accommedations (her own room & bed), proof of car insurance and a valid CA I.D.
    I would like to know what is the best thing we can do to insure the return of the baby to our family. Do the parents have or are they able to still try and get the kids? Because they dont deserve to. We would just like to cover our bases before court this tuesday. What can we expect at court? Will the kids be present at the hearing?

  44. Casie says:

    I’m frantically trying to find info !!! My cousins 3 kids were taken by CPS in Texas . When she was taken to court the judge was told that there was plenty of family willing to take the kids , they were placed in foster care anyways . We were also told that there was nothing we could do about it for 10 days . Is that true is there anything else I can do ? They live in Corpus Christi I live in Dallas will they even let me have them since I’m so far away ? HELP PLEASE !!!!

  45. Needing answers says:

    My husbands son was placed in the care of his grandparents. The mother could not be alone with the child. CPS did not contact my husband to care for his son in this instance because the mother lied stating she had no court order or contact info for him. There is a court order and she did have contact info. Her parents went along with this. CPS is stating 18-24 months before he can even find out what happened unless we subpoena them. Shouldn’t he be immediately entitled to information concerning his son. Did CPS do wrong by not giving my husband the option to care for his son before grandparents?

  46. jketterman says:

    Yes. Your husband has a superior right. If he wasn’t part of the pick up then CPS has to place with him. He needs to file a writ of habeas corpus to demand his son.

  47. jketterman says:

    You need to go to court with your cousin. Tell the caseworker and the judge that you will take the children. Texas law states that children must be placed with family, if not with a parent.

  48. jketterman says:

    I would intervene into the case. Become a party to the lawsuit. It’s the only way you can really have a voice. CPS has to offer services to the parents. They have a right to take the necessary steps to have their children returned. They hold the key, though. What happens in court depends on what it is set for. If it’s the show cause hearing then CPS will have to prove to the judge that the children should be removed from the parents. If it’s a status hearing then the judge will accept the service plan…or not. If it’s a permanency hearing the judge will hear about the child and approve placement, or not. The kids will most likely not be at court.

  49. Debbie says:

    I would like to take my 2 grandsons for a few months while my daughter gets on her feet. She isn’t getting child support from either father and is having a very hard time financially. Someone mentioned voluntary foster care for us. Is this actually an option and would it have ramifications for her in the future? Do we have to go through the legal/CPS system to do this correctly? There is no danger to them being with her except for the financial situation. She has done a phenomenal job and just needs some help. But we want it done properly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

  50. K. Quin says:

    A little boy’s mother died and he was adopted by his cousin and her husband when he was 7. Now he is 15. They don’t want him anymore so he has been moved to the grandparent’s home. My question is about the benefits, in particular, his adoptive parents get $400 a month, his college is paid, and he has Medicaid. Do the benefits transfer with the child? The adoptive parents say the benefits stay with them and therefore the boy cannot be adopted by the grandparents. Do you know the answer?

  51. need help says:

    I have legal custody of my niece and now the mother wants her in fooster care bc I can’t take on the other jail.. my sister just got out of jail and is living with a sex offender. Can she do this

  52. Sofia says:

    My brothers girlfriend placed their newborn in an adoption agency w/o notifing my brother. The baby has bn placed w a family that wants to adopt her and my brother is in jail for dwi can my parents the babys grandparents get custody or will the adoption with the agency go through?

  53. Falsely accused parents says:

    We are dealing with Cps, we have never been through this before..We need legal advice. We took our son to the pediatrician due to him being extra fussy over the weekend, he seemed to be having a difficult time eating. The doctor put him on amoxicillin for a throat infection. The next day changed our lives entirely. He appeared to be having a seizure like episode, we rushed him to the emergency room, stayed over night and were told this was a cause of reflux and he was released from the hospital yet the discharge diagnosis stated he had breath holding spells. On the following day, this seizure like episode happened again but this time we went to his pediatrician and were admitted once again into the hospital for further testing. After an eeg was done, it was determined that he had extra fluid in his brain which lead to surgery for it to be drained. After the surgery, we were told that cps would be notified. We were at the hospital the entire time by his side while he was in the hospital up until cps placed both of our boys in grandmas care. We feel as though we are being lied to and manipulated. We have been cooperating with everything they have asked of us. We were basically told that there were no other explanations but we did our own research and found several possibilities, including one that explained everything we saw during his episode. I stated that I wanted this testing done and he was released without it being done. We are terrified and aren’t sure what to do. We already feel like we have given cps too much information and are worried that it will be used against us. Please help us. We just want our boys home..We’ve even been told by someone at our pediatricians office that they would be willing to testify for us if it comes down to that, this person has seen both boys since they were born..

  54. Lovewithouttheblood says:

    My son and his common law wife lived with my mom and I for over a year with her daughter that I bonded with, and her with me. Her mom and I eventually had a large argument. So she and my son with her daughter that I consider my granddaughter now moved out; however she is rather hateful and refusing to let I or my mom (elderly) see the girl that I consider my granddaughter. Do I and my mom have any grounds to fight for visitations?
    Thank you

  55. Lonnie Hobday says:

    Hi, I’m writing because my children age 11 and 2 were taken from their mother who lives in Florida on January 5, 2015. They are currently in separate foster homes because of age gap. I’ve been in constant contact with the case investigators and case manager. There has been an order for a home check on my home here in Texas but I have yet to hear anything else other than the next court hearing is on March 4th. I’m not sure what other steps I can take to make things happen quicker. My daughter is scared and just wants to come home. I can’t afford to hire an attorney. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

  56. jketterman says:

    If you were not part of the original allegations and/or pick up, then your kids should be placed with you — according to Texas Law. I don’t know Florida law, but I would almost bet that they have a similar law. If I were you, I would get an attorney in Florida. If you can’t afford one, the CPS court should determine your indegency and appoint you an attorney if you qualify. If you do not qualify for a court-appointed attorney you can go to various groups such as Legal Aid, Father Rights Groups, etc for help. Good luck.

  57. jketterman says:

    In Texas, Grandparents have limited rights. You can file suit for access and possession but they are difficult cases to win.

  58. jketterman says:

    CPS will not give your boys back to you, based on these facts. You need to hire an attorney, and quickly.

  59. jketterman says:

    Yes, your parents can file suit for custody.

  60. jketterman says:

    Yes. You need to intervene into the case and fight to stop it.

  61. jketterman says:

    The grandparents can file suit to adopt. The benefits should always follow the child.

  62. jketterman says:

    Keep CPS and the government out of your family. If you want to help, do so, but not at the cost of getting CPS involved.

  63. jstephens says:

    Hi my cousin 6 kids were taking from her in Aug 2014 an my husband an I tried too get them but they told me that I wasn’t able too get them because he has a criminal background agg.assault so we said OK so about a month ago the sent me a letter saying come too a pulmonary hearing so we did weagree to another background check an a home study so now they are saying we have to wait to see what the director of cps says they only want to give me the 15 year the other are going to there family member house he the only one that don’t have a Father in his life my question is do we have a chance to get him other then that he has to go to a Forster home my husband case is 11 years old are there any thing else we can do to prevent him from going to foster care we are in Houston tax please give me some advice on what we can do

  64. jstephens says:

    Hi my cousin 6 kids were taking from her in Aug 2014 an my husband an I tried too get them but they told me that I wasn’t able too get them because he has a criminal background agg. assault so we said OK so about a month ago the sent me a letter saying come too a pulmonary hearing so we did we agree to another background check an a home study so now they are saying we have to wait to see what the director of cps says they only want to give me the 15 year the other are going to there family member house he the only one that don’t have a Father in his life my question is do we have a chance to get him other then that he has to go to a Foster home my husband case is 11 years old are there any thing else we can do to prevent him from going to foster care we are in Houston tx please give me some advice on what we can do

  65. crystal says:

    Really needing advice, please help
    My 3 kids were taken by cps 1 month and 2 weeks ago, they called it a “volentary placement” lasting for 3 months, I’ve followed the safety plan. My caseworker doesn’t call me or answer my calls, texts, or emails, I’ve finally gone to the office to speak yo a supervisor to find out a case update, I have never worked services, or anything, in fact i asked my case worker said i couldnt ,now they tell me that filed court papers for temp custody of the kids. I don’t understand what’s going on, now I have to go to court, and am even more scared !!I can’t loose them, my kids are my world, every time I talk to them they cry and ask to come home with me, that they miss me, I feel I’ve done everything to show that I’m more than capable of caring for them.

  66. crystal says:

    Ohh, the reason the kids were taken, was because I have a restraining order against the father ( my husband ) for family violence against me, now that I’m starting to let him see the kids, cps said I’m not being a protective parent, and said the kids are unsafe with me, my husband arrested, my kids taken away,all I can think about is NOTHING in this world is more important to me than getting my children back to me and hoping this wasn’t that traumatic for them, ages are 2, 4, and 9… what do I do, how can I get them back?? Any advise would help,

  67. Erica says:

    My friends grandchildren were placed with me 2 months ago as kinship placement. She was unable to get them due to a cps case she had on her in 2003. What can we do to appeal that decision? The mother also wants to sign her rights over to her mother but cps says that’s impossible since they have custody. Any advice?

  68. Andrea says:

    Hello my niece in florida was put into a foster home 2 weeks ago. Her mother passed away on a Sunday and cps showed up on Wednesday done a drug test on the dad and he failed. They immediately took the 2 year old. My husband is the girls uncle brother to the father. The father wants to sign over temporary custody to us but we live in Tennessee and we don’t know how to go about this. We were told he needs to petition the court but he can’t figure out what to do. Will they allow him to sign over temporary custody so she does not have to remain in foster care.

  69. rox says:

    About two years ago my kids father won custody of our 3 kids. About 6 months ago CPS got involved and took the kids and gave them to his sister. Because he is being accused of touching his step daughter. He told them i wasn’t around and that’s because he didn’t allow me to. Can CPS just give them to someone else without contacting the other parent even though I have called they won’t give me any information. Plus his sister lives in another state. Need help want my kids home.

  70. Ann says:

    Hi I have a question my husband passed away 9 month ago his from New York and I from Thailand we move back to New York on 2012 the question is what will happen to my kids if anything happens to me, I don’tgetting along with my husband family I moving to Florida after his passed away I don’t want my kids living with them I want to know anything I can do to keep them away from my kids if anything happens to me
    thank you

  71. Cortney Rogers says:

    My kids were takin due to the fact I failed a drug test. I asked to place my kids with family. they didn’t do it instead they put them in foster care. and now my son is in the hospital with a breathing problem. I only found out due to the fact that I called checking on my kids. What are my rights on this.

  72. Crystal says:

    My best friend of 20 years had her children removed by CPS, and the kids were placed in my home. At the family meeting, my friend’s husband’s family said they wanted the kids. The kids were then removed from my home and sent to live with their great grandma. The kids were doing great in my home, but since being with great grandma, the kids have been in and out of a mental facility, and my friend’s son has become very violent. Her son is now being moved to another one of their dad’s family members. This person is very nasty to mom and lives with someone who has threatened to kill my friend in the past. My friend wants her son to come back to my home, and my husband and I would love to have him back, though we really want both the kids back. The kids were happy with my family and were very well behaved. I have a close relationship with the kids and have been more involved in their lives than family members have been. Is there a way for me to get the kids back in my care, where they are happy and my parenting style fits their needs and personalities? I am very concerned about the kids being separated because they have an older brother half brother they never see, and it has really affected them. I don’t want to see that happen again. Is it possible for me to get my friend’s kids back in my home instead of the kids going from one family member to another? As it is, mom has a hard time getting visits with the kids because the kids get grounded from seeing their mom. Also, I do have power of attorney from when the kids were placed with me, and CPS told me that it is still in effect even though the kids are no longer living with me. CPS never went to court for the removal of the kids from my friend.

  73. maría says:

    I have a question.. My friend of 13 yrs recently had her kids removed and i wanted to see if cps would allow me to take them in until they allow my friend to have them back.. I have 5 boys of my own.. She has 2boy and 2 girls…

  74. Rebecca Redfearn says:

    My son is in jail and his girlfriend gave birth to my granddaughter on Oct 22 2014. She tested positive for drugs so CPS took her child. She then was ordered to complete services and did but she died on may 6 2015 and I’m trying to figure out what my sons rights r.. What can we do? She had place the baby with a friends aunt who was going against her already because she had her own plans to adopt the baby. Noe CPS is saying I cant have any info because I’m not part of the case

  75. Rebecca Redfearn says:

    My son is not on the birth certificate but the courts have acknowledged him as the father. They won’t let me have the baby because of old cps cases. None of which were true cases and all dropped.

  76. Vstrong says:

    Any lawyers you can refer me to in Austin , TX abuse alleged on my oldest son by my bf who’s my youngest son dad and we have his daughter in our home CPs came on a Sunday took all the kids. There was a bruse on my son bf says he didn’t do it. Children were placed with my sister here in town on a temporary order. I wanted to know could they take my 2youngest since there was no abuse to them? And can I at least get them back since there was nun and proven there was none?

  77. Monique says:

    My brothers kids were taken by cps today because he wouldnt comply with taking parenting classes an random drug testing. Are they aloud to just take his kids? An what are the chances they’ll be placed with a family member? And also what are the requirments one would have to past to be granted tempary custody? Any help would he most appreciated thank you. One last thing is there any lawyer in los Angeles California you could recommend. Thank you once again.

  78. Ciara says:

    hello I’m in desperate need of information. I was incredibly stupid and left my 2 yr asleep in the car at 12:30 am and ran in the grocery store. The window was down and it was a cool evening but I still understand the idiocy and neglect of my doing this. At the time I was upset about something and obviously not thinking clearly but i didn’t want to disturb his sleep. The cops came and found less than a gram of marijuana in my purse. They arreste me and charged me with possession. That is my only charge. Cps got involved and placed my son with my mother. I really don’t want him with my mother at all but there is no one else who can take him. There is no court order for placement and the cps worker says my case will have to be transferred to family services for me to even receive a safety plan. The worker came to my home saw that it was clean and safe with good and I passed my drug test. My mother really can’t afford to keep my son but she is cooperating and believing everything cps tells her. I want to take my son and move out of state. What will happen to me if I do this and do I legally have to comply with this placement order. I love my son dearly and want him back badly. They won’t even let me stay the night with my child. He’s used to going everywhere with me and even sleeping with me. We are close and he misses me

  79. Larissa says:

    Ok so my sisters nephew was taken into Texas cps custody. Few days ago… We are not sure what day. she talked kelly a cps agent who told her should would not be able to get custody of him for 12 months while the mother is able to get better(she’s on drugs) here is the scenario… They have lived in Ohio she recently met a man who she moved about a week ago with to Texas… The mother is on drugs any ways her boyfriend apparently kicked them out of the car along a high way where he and the child started walking and a police officer stopped and arrested her took the child into custody! So kelly from cps contacted the child’s mothers friend 2 days before she even contacted family… She contacted my sister yesterday who is the child’s aunt and told her that they cannot place the child with them until 12 mo while the mother gets clean and that they cannot talk to the child unless the foster home oks it!!! I believe who ever she spoke with was telling them incorrect information… My sister and her husband have been trying to get the child’s mother to give them custody for months she has been in and out of jail where my sister had to keep the child and several times when she got out she just wouldn’t come get him but eventaually would come a few days later to get him and say thinks for watching him for me at the time they were unable to file for temporary emergency custody now they are able to afford those fees what kind of legal advice can I get on this situation should we call and ask to speak with some one else or should we get a lawyer what can we do to get this child back to his home state with his family!

  80. Larissa says:

    have her sign a joint custody agreement… My step mother did this with my younger siblings so that my siblings aunt could sign all paper work and be considered a gaurdian of the children but she still retains her rights to the kids once she’s on her feet the custody agreement can be redone where you won’t need to have custody of her children any more… We live in the state of Ohio not sure whether it varys state by state but maybe talk to a lawyer and go that route!

  81. Suzanne castro says:

    I’m on probation but not formal two probation officers come to my house they say that they received a call telling them we sold drugs so they search the house they find a bag of cut for meth this is what they are telling my kids father my kids father tells them that the bag is horse tranquilizer then they find meth pipe and like three paper bags of marijuana leaves they go into the back yard and pull the weed plants because we didn’t have a cannibas card then the said that the house wasn’t liveable for our child and that they were going to get ahold of CP’s so they could could see for them self and see if it was liveable for our child this happened on a Friday the next day CP’s was knocking at my door we let them in they asked us questions then they ask if we would drug test for them we signed signed papers that we would test then they asked was it alright for my child to go stay at there grandparents for like a week we said yes so the kids go to my parents home they go into my parents back yard and find plant but my dad has a. Cannibus card then CP’s does a criminal back ground check on my dad they find a D.U.I back in 1984 so they decided to take the kids for that and they did so should we go test? None of this was court order how do we get our children back??

  82. Suzanne castro says:

    I’m on probation but not formal two probation officers come to my house they say that they received a call telling them we sold drugs so they search the house they find a bag of cut for meth this is what they are telling my kids father my kids father tells them that the bag is horse tranquilizer then they find meth pipe and like three paper bags of marijuana leaves they go into the back yard and pull the weed plants because we didn’t have a cannibas card then the said that the house wasn’t liveable for our child and that they were going to get ahold of CP’s so they could could see for them self and see if it was liveable for our child this happened on a Friday the next day CP’s was knocking at my door we let them in they asked us questions then they ask if we would drug test for them we signed signed papers that we would test then they asked was it alright for my child to go stay at there grandparents for like a week we said yes so the kids go to my parents home they go into my parents back yard and find plant but my dad has a. Cannibus card then CP’s does a criminal back ground check on my dad they find a D.U.I back in 1984 so they decided to take the kids for that and they did so should we go test? None of this was court order how do we get our children back??

  83. Toya says:

    hello, my cousin said that she would help me out if I ever needed it. I asked her to keep my 5 month old baby for me. We spoke over the phone and she said to meet her at the cps office to get my baby back. When we got there, she had told them that I was doing drugs and I shouldnt have my baby. They did a drug test and it came back negative. So the case worker said I should sign some papers stating that I was unfit at the moment. He said my cousin has the rights to tell me when I was ready to get her back. They told me I needed to have a house and a car. They told me I was unfit, but day before they just sent out a report and told me case my case had been closed for my two sons. My daughter has sickle cell, so with that being said she receives a social security check. If I was so unfit why didnt cps find a place for my boys? Thats because I am a fit mother. Come to find out the case worker was a friend of hers. Then my sister passed away due to a car accident. I basically took care of my niece while my sister worked or just wanted to hang out with her friends. My niece just turned 3 when she passed, two days before actually. When she died my cousin the one who has my baby tried to get custody of her. She called CPS and she told me that they said I couldnt get her because I had a case through cps with my daughter. Her and her daughters went back in fourth with my nieces family, cussing each other out. So they got the fb page deleted. So all of my sisters feelings were erased. I had all kinds of messages telling me what she wanted for her and her baby. When my niece was born the father and the family wouldnt give her, my sister her baby back to her a couple days after she was born, because she didnt want to live with them anymore. My sister called my cousin to go over there and help her get her baby back, because she has a reputation for being a “bad ass”. My cousin told my sister that she was grown and she wasnt getting into it. Since that day my sister never talked to her again. Before everything with my daughter and my sister happened, it was a lady named F. Watson, she was really sick, so the cousin who has my daughter knew that whoever took care of her they were going to get all of her money and cars. So needless to say she lives in ms. watson’s house. I was adopted at the age of 2 by my cousins aunt, with that being said and done her aunt couldnt give her everything anymore because she was taking care of me. She HATED me every since then. By the way Im 28 now. 2 years later my biological mother passed away. She was an alcoholic. My cousin saw an opportunity to become her beneficiary. My biological mom was so scared of her. I was too ( at that time) So my biological mom was on life support. During this time she stopped coming to the hospital to see her because my biological mother’s brother was coming to see her and she didnt like him because he called her out on the foul things that she does. So when it was time for us to meet with the doctors she never showed up. Once the doctors finally got a hold of her she gave up her medical power of attorney, so therefore it went down to me. The only reason why she wanted custody of my niece was so she could get her insurance money. The father’s family is the same way. They did not care about my sister at all. When my sister passed away the tore up her car looking for anything that tied her to them. During all of this the father was incarcerated. Everybody is out for the money when all I want is my daughter and niece back. they belong with me, FAMILY!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!! even when my daughter and niece comes to visit me they beg to live with me, kids know when its real. Now my cousin is asking me to pay the taxes on my aunt and biological moms house. She said we can split it down the middle. She’s money hungry and she’s getting away with it!!!

  84. Toya says:

    i also live in tx

  85. berry says:

    Hi. Im writing because my kids are on a temporary placement with my mom. My daughter had a accident but an accident turned into me her mother going to jail and now immlbeing offered 10 year’s deferred. My question is. Can my kids get taken away from my mom if i accept the 10 year probation. This has to do with the cps case. Cps said my kids are safe with my mom and shes been aprooved and I’m only allowed supervised visitd worth them. Can they satay worth her

  86. jimmie newton says:

    please help us get our grandkids, back once this occurs help us adopt them..out daughter is not mentally stable to raise them.

  87. jketterman says:

    I would need more facts to determine if I can help you. You can contact my office and set up a free telephone conference.

  88. jketterman says:

    Yes. You have to plead guilt to get deferred. This will give CPS cause to take your kids away.

  89. melissa price says:

    look im in desperate help i have acousin that is 29 years old she left texas and came to tn at my home tohav her second child karma she does dope heavely she was in a rehab in tx were she was doing meth while pregnant but her son lives with her mom in pasadena tx and has sence he was born 5 years ago her mom was resently diagnosed with breast cancer n both boobs and now she is threating about taking him away she is still in tn the baby is a month old but she continues to use she has the baby in virgina with a man she just met but that is were all here dope people are so she is putting her daughter in danger but she dont care just like her son in pasadena the father cant take care of him he tried didnt wok so her mother or nana has took care of him but things are getting difficult because of the cancer and the daughter is making it more difficult my question is what as a family can we do to get mason the boy there because he dont know anyone else but his nana

  90. Ric Villasanta says:

    I have nothing but admiration for both James Hedlesten and Julie Ketterman. They are outstanding, superb, and unbelievable attorneys that would work for you 24/7.
    Since the inception of my divorce case and the false allegations made by my ex-wife, this team fought for me against the Harris County Police Departement, CPS, and the Harris County District Attorney’s Office.
    I am extremely thankful for having gained sole custody of my two children, especially because I was fighting an army of pro-bono attorneys, religious para-legals, and CPS case workers assigned to my estranged ex-wife.
    It has been a treacherous and difficult journey, but these two worriors and legal advocates went to battle for me and my kids and won the war. THEY ARE THE BEST! They have been on my side since 2010 when my divorce proceedings and false allegations started through July 2015 when I was granted sole custody.

    Gracias James y Julie.

    Ric Villasanta, PhD
    Educational Consultant

  91. Adrian Sullivan says:

    Are cps workers allowed to give money to clients? Is this illegal. And how do i tale action on it i have audio rec. Also of her stating that and i live in texas

  92. Billy R Rye says:

    Hello my girlfriend of 3 years just had her child taking. We have been split up for about 5 months. I love the child and was wanting to know is there anything I can do. Im not the father but I raised him from the age 2 to 6 he loves me to. Please help me

  93. jketterman says:

    The short answer is no. However, in Texas, in some cases, the judge will allow a person who has had substantial contact with the child to intervene and seek custody.

  94. Kayla stewart says:

    In the state of Texas cps is the worst. I placed my children with family. I completed all my services and they didn’t want to give my kids back. They told me either sign my rights away or they will take them. So I signed my rights away.

  95. Tonya Vickers says:

    My nieces kids was taken away in Michigan and temporarily placed with the birth father’s dad and girlfriend because the mother had no family in that state. Now my niece is afraid children services are going to take all her rights and she doesn’t agree with who has them because they will allow the dad to come over anytime while she has to have scheduled supervised visits so he’s not doing anything he’s suppose to do. Because he sees them whenever he wants. Now the one child they’ve had over a year and they just took the other two about a month ago. If she loses her rights the father will always have them and she’ll never see them. Can she sign her rights over to me the Aunt? I live in Ohio though.

  96. jketterman says:

    Michigan law may be different than Texas law so your niece will have to check the laws in her state. If your niece doesn’t agree with where the children are placed she needs to have her attorney, or do it pro se, file a motion with the court so that she can explain her concerns to the court. She needs to fight for her children. In Texas, a parent cannot sign their parental rights over to another person while they are in the department’s custody. I suspect that Michigan has a similar law.

  97. jketterman says:

    I don’t know if it’s illegal; but it certainly does not pass the smell test.

  98. jketterman says:

    Thank you, Ric. Hope all is well.

  99. Katlin Happ says:

    We live in Colorado! My step son was placed in foster care in Texas March 9th of last year. Earlier this year they gave mom benefit of the doubt and let her have monitored home visits while he was living back with her. He was removed again for her testing positive for drugs and my step son sltested positive for meth. My husband has a Colorado record but nothing major. We are available and fit parents for this child. Final court date is in January. Could mom lose parental rights? What will happen then. CPS stated the will not agree to send my step son here because he doesn’t want to talk to his dad. He is 11 years old. I have documented that the CPS worker stated to us that this child has been coached and brainwashed on 2 different dates.

  100. jketterman says:

    Yes, mom can lose her parental rights and most likely will if she doesn’t have good representation. With an 11-year old testing positive for Meth also it is very likely that the parental rights will be terminated. Your husband — the dad — appears to be the non-offending parent. By law, his son should be placed with him — if it can be done in a safe manner for the child — regardless of what the boy wants. If there is evidence that the child has been brainwashed, that evidence needs to be presented to the court. If your husband doesn’t have a good lawyer, get him one and soon. This is a case that needs to be tried in front of a jury and not a judge. And a jury request needs to be done 30 days before trial. So, time is of the essence. Good luck.

  101. jketterman says:

    I hate to hear that. Did you have an attorney? If you did your services and successfully completed them all you should have taken your case to trial in front of a jury. A jury trial is your best bet on getting your kids back. I’m sorry for your loss. Good luck.

  102. Bromen says:

    Cps does more wrong than good. I’ve been in cps custody as a child and had my son taken because he was hurt by a caretaker. Cps should be shut down. Period

  103. jketterman says:

    For the most part — I agree with you. There are, of course, exceptions. But the reality is that we are in the third generation of CPS families. The system, as it is, is broken and corrupt. CPS victimizes those children they are charged with protecting. They punish the very families they are supposed to be guiding, teaching, and supporting — all in the name of the dollar. I would love to hear more of your story. Good luck to you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.